Hurricane Ida Recovery
Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Tuesday, November 23, 2021
- All FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers in Louisiana will close for the entire Thanksgiving holiday weekend, from Thursday, Nov. 25 through Sunday, Nov. 28. All centers will reopen at their regular hours Monday, Nov. 29.
- The FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 will be operational Wednesday, November 24, 2021, until 10pm, be closed Thanksgiving Day, and will resume normal hours on Friday, November 26.
No Change from Previous Update:
Hurricane Ida Assistance Still Available as Deadline Nears
- To date, more than 863,000 cubic yards of debris (over 15,600 loads) has been collected in St. John.
- Please be assured that if a resident is currently gutting their home, debris crews are out collecting and will make multiples passes Parishwide to ensure all debris is removed.
- For questions related to hurricane debris on state roadways, please call DOTD at 800-950-2732.
Parish President Hotard Brings Hurricane Ida Free Legal Services to St. John
- Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance is available by appointment every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the legal clinic located at 1811 W. Airline Hwy in LaPlace. St. John the Baptist Parish residents seeking disaster-related legal assistance can contact Southeast Legal Services at 225-448-0080 ext. 336 to schedule an appointment. If no one answers, please leave your name and phone number and someone will return your call.
- The State set up the Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program to help assist Hurricane Ida survivors with direct and non-congregate sheltering in areas such as St. John.
- This program is being run by the State and you must apply for this program separately from FEMA. To do so, please visit idashelteringla.com or call (844) 268-0301.
- Already registered? Check your status by viewing your registration at IdaShelteringLA.com. If your registration is incomplete, answer all information. Please make sure to complete the following:
Release of Information (ROI),
Right of Entry (ROE); and provide a copy of your government issued identification.
- If you have any questions, please reach out to a Program Team Member by calling 1-844-268-0301 or 1-844-458-1806 for talk to text (TTY).
- Residents are encouraged to also apply for FEMA at DisasterAssistance.gov.
Long Term Recovery Group
- St. John Parish recently activated the Long Term Recovery Group to assist residents with unmet needs due to Hurricane Ida.
- The Long Term Recovery group consists of government, faith-based, non-profit, state, and federal organizations, and other agencies whose goal is to assist individuals and families as they recover from a disaster.
- If you are a homeowner and are uninsured, underinsured, or need assistance due to Hurricane Ida, please call the St John Volunteer Reception Center (VRC) at 985-703-8411.
- Elderly residents who may need assistance can continue to call our Department of Health & Human Services office at 985-536-4955 during business hours.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived however a permit may still be needed in some instances.
- Building permits are not needed for Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 985-651-5565 so someone in this department can work with you on reconnection.
Beware of Fraud
- Survivors should be aware of con artists and criminals trying to take advantage of them, posing as phony property inspectors or phony building contractors. Thieves also may try to steal money or your personal information through fraud by directing you to apply on their website. FEMA’s website is www.DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Report scams, fraud, and identity theft to FEMA’s toll-free Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.
- Contact the Louisiana Attorney General Consumer Protection Section, P.O. Box 94005, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005. Or fax your complaint to 225-326-6499.
• State of Louisiana’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program: idashelteringla.com/ or call 844-268-0301
• FEMA Helpline (6 a.m. – 10 p.m., seven days a week): 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585)
• SBA’s Customer Service Center: 800-659-2955 or email DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov
• Disaster Distress Helpline: 800-985-5990
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-77
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)