Published on October 09, 2021
Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Saturday, October 9, 2021
Louisiana Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program:
- The Governor recently announced that registration is now open for the Louisiana Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program, which will provide temporary housing to people in heavily impacted parishes where other sheltering options are currently unavailable.
- For more information or to register for the program, visit idashelteringla.com or call (844) 268-0301
- An extension to apply for DSNAP registration has been granted including our Parish:
Monday, October 11 - Residents with last names beginning with A-L
Tuesday, October 12 - M-Z
Wednesday, October 13 - A-Z (open to all last names)
More info: http://www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/page/dsnap
- To apply, call the Customer Service Center at 1-888-524-3578 on the day that coincides with the first letter of your last name between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- To date, more than 530,000 cubic yards of debris has been collected in St. John.
- Please be assured that if a resident is currently gutting their home, debris crews are making multiple passes and debris monitors continuously going through neighborhoods to determine where debris remains.
- Metro is working to return to regularly scheduled routes.
- Over 694 total roof installs to date and over 500 work orders are in progress. The deadline to apply for a blue roof is October 15 at Blueroof.us or call 888-766-3258
- Mobile Blue Roof Sign Up will take place Sunday, October 10 at Juan Anthony Joseph Park, 3445 LA 18 in Edgard, from 9:30 am-5:00 p.m.
- More than 18,000 FEMA registrations to date in St. John.
- FEMA Disaster recovery centers are open daily including weekends from 9 am to 6 pm at Garyville Library Parking Lot – 111 Historic Front, Garyville and Edgard Library Parking Lot - 2979 Hwy 18, Edgard
Businesses Recovery Center
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Business Recovery Center is open in LaPlace on Mondays - Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Located at River Region Chamber of Commerce - 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
Mobile Workforce/ Disaster Unemployment
- The Mobile Workforce Center will be REGALA Park, 194 REGALA Park Rd., in Reserve, on October 11th from 9am-6pm helping residents apply for disaster unemployment assistance.
- The application deadline for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) has been extended through Nov. 2, 2021: http://ow.ly/AfoZ50GePCV
Aerial Mosquito Spraying
- The aerial application may occur through Sunday, October 10th weather permitting. If a delay occurs, it will be finished on a subsequent day that is favorable for treatment.
No changes from previous update:
Elderly Assistance for St. John residents
• Call 985-536-4955 from 8am-4:30pm daily.
St. John Residential Water Bills for September will not be issued
- Parish President Hotard announced that all September water bills which include water, sewage, garbage, ambulance, and mosquito monthly fees will be waived for September due to Hurricane Ida operational damage.
- Residential water customers will not receive a September water bill but may receive, or have already received, a bill prior to September. If you receive a water bill for prior dates, please be assured that your next water bill will be waived.
- Although Parish offices are currently closed to the public, customers can contact Utility Billing at 985-652-0542 for assistance.
- Customers needing to pay a water bill can do so online at sjbparish.gov, via phone at 985-652-0542, or by utilizing one of the drop boxes at the Government Complex in LaPlace, Garyville Service Center, or Edgard Courthouse. All online processing fees have been waived during this time.
Boil Water Advisories
- All Boil Water Advisories in St. John Parish are lifted.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
- Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 985-651-5565.