The St. John Parish Fire Department offers many excellent employment opportunities to highly motivated, professional individuals who are seeking a career in the fire service that are willing to serve our community with integrity and honor.
The starting salary for an entry level Firefighter/Operator is $40,260.00 on a 14-day pay cycle. This base salary includes $6,000.00 in Louisiana State Supplemental Pay advanced for the first year. St. John Parish Firefighters work a 24/48 shift schedule, 24 hours on-duty/48 hours off-duty.
- Medical and Dental Insurance coverage 100% department paid. (Employee and Family).
- State Firefighter Retirement Plan
- 18 days of paid annual leave after 1 year of service
- 10 paid holidays
- Educational pay incentives
- Longevity pay increases
- Applicants will need to obtain a passing Entry Firefighter Civil Service Test Score to be considered for full-time employment. Information on testing can be found at the Office of State Examiner website (www.ose.louisiana.gov)
- Once an applicant receives a valid test score from the Office of State Examiner, the applicant must complete the St. John Parish Fire Application(PDF, 138KB). The application, along with all the required documents can be hand delivered or mailed to our office at 418 Historic West Street, Garyville LA 70051, or emailed to email@example.com.
- Interviews are conducted and prospective firefighters are hired.
- Current Entry Level Firefighter Civil Service Exam Score
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Valid driver's license
- Possess no criminal record
- Pass a drug screen
- Pass a medical exam
- Pass a physical ability test
- Firefighting experience including Firefighter I IFSAC Certification.
- Emergency Medical Responder Certification.
- Positive Work History
For additional information about employment with the St. John Parish Fire Department, please call our office at (985) 359-0440