The St. John Parish Fire Department offers many excellent employment opportunities to highly motivated, professional individuals who are seeking a career in the fire service that are willing to serve our community with integrity and honor.
The current starting salary is $31,535.00 annually. That salary is increased to $38,790.00 after the 1st year of employment. St. John Parish Firefighters work a 24/48 shift schedule, 24 hours on-duty/48 hours off-duty, with shift change occurring at 6am each day.
- Medical and Dental Insurance Coverage (Employee and Family) 100% Department Paid.
- State Firefighter Retirement Plan.
- 18 days of paid vacation after 1 year.
- 10 paid holidays
- Educational Incentives.
- Applicants will need to obtain a passing Entry Firefighter Civil Service Test Score to be considered for full-time employment. Information on testing can be found at the Office of State Examiner website (www.ose.louisiana.gov)
- Once an applicant receives a valid test score from the Office of State Examiner, the applicant must complete the St. John Parish Fire Application(PDF, 138KB) . The application, along with all the required documents can be hand delivered or mailed to our office at 418 Historic West Street, Garyville LA 70051, or emailed.
- Interviews are conducted and prospective firefighters are hired.
- Current Entry Level Firefighter Civil Service Exam Score
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Valid Driver's License
- Possess No Criminal Record
- Pass a Drug Screen
- Pass a Medical Exam
- Pass a Physical Ability Test
- Firefighting experience including Firefighter I IFSAC Certification.
- Emergency Medical Responder Certification.
- Positive Work History
For additional information about employment with the St. John Parish Fire Department, please call our office at (985) 359-0440