Hurricane Ida Recovery
Monday, October 11, 2021
West Shore Lake Pontchartrain Levee Update
- Parish President Hotard continues to meet monthly with the US Army Corps of Engineers on the West Shore Lake Pontchartrain Levee Project
- Early data show surge heights below WSLP design
- Three contracts are underway including stockpiling clay and sand for use in levee construction.
- A contract to construct access roads was awarded in August 2021.
- Test sections have been recently awarded with additional construction anticipated in Spring of 2022.
- These test sections, built along the levee alignment, will provide important information on what materials, and means and methods will best equip the Corps for construction.
- For more information, please visit https://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/About/Projects/BBA-2018/West-Shore-Lake-Pontchartrain/.
- The curfew is lifted for St. John Parish.
Louisiana Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program
- The Governor recently announced that registration is now open for the Louisiana Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program, which will provide temporary housing to people in heavily impacted parishes where other sheltering options are currently unavailable.
- For more information or to register for the program, visit idashelteringla.com or call (844) 268-0301
- DSNAP registration was extended:
Monday, October 11 – Residents with last names beginning with A-L
Tuesday, October 12 - M-Z
Wednesday, October 13 - A-Z (open to all last names)
More info: http://www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/page/dsnap
- To apply, call the Customer Service Center at 1-888-524-3578 on the day that coincides with the first letter of your last name between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- To date, more than 580,000 cubic yards of debris has been collected in St. John.
- Please be assured that if a resident is currently gutting their home, debris crews are making multiple passes and debris monitors continuously going through neighborhoods to determine where debris remains.
- Metro is working to return to regularly scheduled routes.
- Currently, 17 customers or 0.09% are out of power.
- For assistance, please call Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY.
- The US Army Corps of Engineers has installed over 800 roofs in St. John and there are 871 work orders are in progress.
- The deadline to apply for a blue roof is October 15 at Blueroof.us or call 888-766-3258
- More than 18,000 registrations.
- FEMA Disaster recovery centers are open daily including weekends from 9 am to 6 pm at Garyville Library Parking Lot – 111 Historic Front, Garyville and Edgard Library Parking Lot - 2979 Hwy 18, Edgard
- DisasterAssistance.gov or 800-621-3362
- Parish President Hotard is scheduled to do a Facebook Live with FEMA this Wednesday, October 13, 2021, at 3:00 p.m. on the St. John the Baptist Parish Facebook page.
Businesses Recovery Center
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Business Recovery Center is open in LaPlace on Mondays - Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at River Region Chamber of Commerce - 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
Mobile Workforce/ Disaster Unemployment
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
- 9:00 a.m. - Large distribution of non-perishable food items, baby diapers, baby wipes & water
- 10:00 a.m. - Hot meals distribution
Location: REGALA Gym Parking Lot, 200 REGALA Park Rd., Reserve
Hurricane Ida Donations
- Drop Off Site:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
200 REGALA Park Rd., Reserve
- Non-perishable food, toiletries, cleaning supplies & water (clothing not accepted)
- All items donated will go to Hurricane Ida relief in St. John Parish.
No changes from previous update:
Elderly Assistance for St. John residents
• Call 985-536-4955 from 8am-4:30pm daily.
St. John Residential Water Bills for September will not be issued
- Parish President Hotard announced that all September water bills which include water, sewage, garbage, ambulance, and mosquito monthly fees will be waived for September due to Hurricane Ida operational damage.
- Residential water customers will not receive a September water bill but may receive, or have already received, a bill prior to September. If you receive a water bill for prior dates, please be assured that your next water bill will be waived.
- Although Parish offices are currently closed to the public, customers can contact Utility Billing at 985-652-0542 for assistance.
- Customers needing to pay a water bill can do so online at sjbparish.gov, via phone at 985-652-0542, or by utilizing one of the drop boxes at the Government Complex in LaPlace, Garyville Service Center, or Edgard Courthouse. All online processing fees have been waived during this time.
Boil Water Advisories
- All Boil Water Advisories in St. John Parish are lifted.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
- Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 985-651-5565.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-777
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)