Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Monday, September 27, 2021
Changes from previous update:
President Hotard Announces St. John Residential Water Bills for September will not be issued
Parish President Hotard announces that all September water bills which include water, sewage, garbage, ambulance, and mosquito monthly fees will be waived for September due to Hurricane Ida operational damage.
Residential water customers will not receive a September water bill but may receive, or have already received, a bill prior to September. If you receive a water bill for prior dates, please be assured that your next water bill will be waived.
Although Parish offices are currently closed to the public, customers can contact Utility Billing at 985-652-0542 for assistance.
Customers needing to pay a water bill can do so online at sjbparish.gov, via phone at 985-652-0542, or by utilizing one of the drop boxes at the Government Complex in LaPlace, Garyville Service Center, or Edgard Courthouse. All online processing fees have been waived during this time.
FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers
- Residents and businesses affected by Hurricane Ida can now meet with FEMA specialists at temporary Disaster Recovery Centers in St. John to help with recovery.
The centers will be open daily from 9 am to 6 pm until further notice at:
- Garyville Library Parking Lot – 111 Historic Front, Garyville
- Edgard Library Parking Lot - 2979 Hwy 18, Edgard
A DRC may be able to help you:
- Apply for assistance. You may also Apply for FEMA Assistance online or Apply/Check your status by phone 1-800-621-3362.
- Learn more about disaster assistance programs.
- Learn the status of your FEMA application.
- Understand any letters you get from FEMA.
- Find housing and rental assistance information.
- Get answers to questions or resolve problems.
- Get referrals to agencies that may offer other assistance.
- Learn about Small Business Administration (SBA) programs and assistance.
- Metro subcontracted with Waste Pro for the past two Saturdays which produced an 11 additional trucks each weekend.
- Metro will continue to utilize additional trucks to help get all garbage collected and return to regularly scheduled routes.
- 9/27/21 – 47 customers or 0.24 % remain without power
- Report power outages to 1-800-ENTERGY
Debris Collection Update
Total debris collected to date: More than 316,607 cubic yards
Operation Blue Roof
- To date, 275 blue roofs were installed and 353 work orders with contractor.
- blueroof.us or 888-766-3258 – open until this Thurs Sept 30
Temporary, Emergency Housing
- Residents who will require temporary, emergency housing, whether a homeowner or renter, can call 985-359-0142 or 985-359-0270 or fill out this convenient form https://us.openforms.com/.../d7c1e95f-25c9-4939-aade... to be placed on the list for temporary, emergency housing.
- The parish is continuing to compile a list of individuals who will require temporary, emergency housing to provide to FEMA. Final assessments will be conducted by FEMA.
- The following information is needed: Address of the home you were living in during Hurricane Ida, a contact number to reach you, the number of people in your household.
Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Registration opens on Oct. 4 for St. John Parish; residents should call 1-888-524-3578 on the day that corresponds with the first letter of their last name.
Day 1 (Monday, Oct. 4) – Residents with last names beginning with A-F
Day 2 (Tuesday, Oct. 5) – G-M
Day 3 (Wednesday, Oct. 6) – N-S
Day 4 (Thursday, Oct. 7) – T-Z
Day 5 (Friday, Oct. 8) – Open for all (letters A-Z)
Day 6 (Saturday, Oct. 9) – Open for all (letters A-Z)
Additional information can be found by texting LADSNAP to 898-211 or by visitingdcfs.la.gov/DSNAP.
Residents can pre-register now by visiting http://www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/page/dsnap-registration
Pre-registration will speed up the application process that determines final eligibility after DSNAP is authorized
Crisis Clean Up
- The Crisis Cleanup Hotline is in operation for individuals who need help with clean up and removal of damage from Hurricane Ida. The hotline will connect you with volunteers, local relief organizations and faith and community groups to help with cutting fallen trees; removing drywall, flooring and appliances; tarping roofs; and mold mitigation. Call 844-965-1386 to request assistance. The hotline will remain open until Oct. 8.
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Business Recovery Center is open in LaPlace