Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Monday, December 13, 2021
- To request construction debris pickup please text the address to 504-884-0607 or call 985-652-9569.
- Debris trucks continue to pick up daily Parishwide.
- To date, almost 1 million cubic yards of debris has been collected throughout the Parish.
Reminder: The grace period ends tomorrow December 14th for homeowners, renters, businessowners and non-profit staff to apply for disaster assistance from the SBA.
• To apply online: https://DisasterLoanAssistance.SBA.gov
• Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email email@example.com for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may call (800) 877-8339.
• Deadline to apply to SBA Economic Injury is May 31,2022.
The SBA Business Recovery Center remains open from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays through Wednesdays at the River Region Chamber of Commerce office, located at 390 Belle Terre Blvd. in LaPlace.
No change in previous update
FEMA announced it will be conducting an additional outreach campaign in December to call survivors who registered for assistance but haven’t stayed in contact.
If this applies to you, there are two ways to update your information.
DRC: The Disaster Recovery Center in the Garyville Library Parking Lot is scheduled to close permanently on December 22nd. It is currently open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Residents can continue to visit a number of other centers open in Louisiana. To locate a center, check the FEMA app or visitwww.FEMA.gov/DRC.
- Call FEMA’s Disaster Helpline at 800-621-3362 to find out the status of your application, what additional assistance may be available or to have other questions answered. The lines are open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Be Aware of Contractor Fraud
- As we work to recover and rebuild following Hurricane Ida, residents are encouraged to watch for and report any suspicious activity or contractor fraud.
- Potential fraud should be reported to https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint or the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.
- Remember to verify contractor’s license and insurance.
Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance
- Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance is available by appointment every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the legal clinic located at 1811 W. Airline Hwy in LaPlace.
- St. John the Baptist Parish residents seeking disaster-related legal assistance can contact Southeast Legal Services at 225-448-0080 ext. 336 to schedule an appointment. If no one answers, please leave your name and phone number and someone will return your call.
- Residents who need temporary housing should register for the state’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering program at idashelteringla.com or by calling 844-268-0301.
- Already registered? Check your status by viewing your registration at IdaShelteringLA.com. If you have any questions, please reach out to a Program Team Member by calling 1-844-268-0301 or 1-844-458-1806 for talk to text (TTY).
Long Term Recovery Group
- St. John Parish recently activated the Long Term Recovery Group to assist residents with unmet needs due to Hurricane Ida.
- If you are a homeowner and are uninsured, underinsured, or need assistance due to Hurricane Ida, please call the St John Volunteer Reception Center (VRC) at 985-703-8411.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived however a permit may still be needed in some instances.
- Building permits are not needed for Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 985-651-5565 so someone in this department can work with you on reconnection.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-77
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)