Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Thursday, December 2, 2021
- While the official Small Business Administration disaster loan deadline passed on November 29, a grace period has been approved, giving homeowners, renters, non-profit staff, and business owners the opportunity to apply for disaster assistance until December 14.
- The SBA Business Recovery Center remains open from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays through Wednesdays at the River Region Chamber of Commerce office, located at 390 Belle Terre Blvd. in LaPlace.
- Individuals may also apply online at https://DisasterLoanAssistance.SBA.gov or contact SBA’s Customer Service Center by phone at 800-659-2955 or by email at email@example.com for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may call 800-877-8339.
- Over 875,000 cubic yards has been collected to date.
- Debris trucks are continuing to remove debris Parishwide.
No change in previous update
If you haven’t heard back from FEMA since applying, a number of common problems may have delayed the application process. For example, it could be because of missing documents.
Call the helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) to find out the status of your application.
More information: https://www.fema.gov/press-release/20211118/whats-holding-your-disaster-assistance-call-fema-helpline-and-find-out?fbclid=IwAR24LOdkGBAyCKtDJ__N4go7KXTmo1EvCtxSLuyEtrry__w5vrXBc4iWwoQ
The Disaster Recovery Center in the Garyville Library Parking Lot (111 Historic Front St. in Garyville) will remain open until further notice Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for those who need assistance in person.
FEMA Mitigation specialists are also available by calling the FEMA Mitigation Helpline, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday, at 833-FEMA-4-US (833-336-2487) or you can email mitigation questions to: FEMA-LAMit@fema.dhs.gov.
Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance
- Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance is available by appointment every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the legal clinic located at 1811 W. Airline Hwy in LaPlace.
- St. John the Baptist Parish residents seeking disaster-related legal assistance can contact Southeast Legal Services at 225-448-0080 ext. 336 to schedule an appointment. If no one answers, please leave your name and phone number and someone will return your call.
- Residents who need temporary housing should register for the state’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering program at idashelteringla.com or by calling 844-268-0301.
- Already registered? Check your status by viewing your registration at IdaShelteringLA.com. If you have any questions, please reach out to a Program Team Member by calling 1-844-268-0301 or 1-844-458-1806 for talk to text (TTY).
Long Term Recovery Group
- St. John Parish recently activated the Long Term Recovery Group to assist residents with unmet needs due to Hurricane Ida.
- If you are a homeowner and are uninsured, underinsured, or need assistance due to Hurricane Ida, please call the St John Volunteer Reception Center (VRC) at 985-703-8411.
- Elderly residents who may need assistance can call Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived however a permit may still be needed in some instances.
- Building permits are not needed for Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 985-651-5565 so someone in this department can work with you on reconnection.
Beware of Fraud
- Report scams, fraud, and identity theft to FEMA’s toll-free Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.
- Contact the Louisiana Attorney General Consumer Protection Section, P.O. Box 94005, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005. Or fax your complaint to 225-326-6499.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-77
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)