Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Friday, October 29, 2021
FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers
- FEMA has announced that the Disaster Recovery Centers in St. John will close on Sundays. The new hours are Mondays through Saturdays, from 9:00 am until 6:00 pm.
- Anyone needing assistance in filing claims with FEMA, or checking the status of existing claims, can visit the DRC during regular operating hours.
- More information from Fema on the FEMA app (under Disaster Resources, select Talk to FEMA in Person) or visit DisasterAssistance.gov or call 800-621-3362.
- Due to high winds of gusts, the DRCS were closed today.
- They are located at:
- Garyville Library Parking Lot ,111 Historic Front St, Garyville
- St. John the Baptist Parish Library Parking Lot, 2979 LA-18, Edgard
For SBA questions or application assistance
SBA Business Recovery Center
Mondays - Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Location: River Region Chamber of Commerce - 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
800-659-2955 or email DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov
- To date, more than 759,00 cubic yards of debris has been collected in St. John Parish and over 13,800 loads hauled.
- DOTD recently activated a call center for questions related to Hurricane debris on state roadways at 800-950-2732. This call center is operating daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. State debris removal progress can also be seen at www.511la.org.
- Louisiana Statewide Cemetery Response Task Force:225-326-6056 firstname.lastname@example.org
- State of Louisiana’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program: idashelteringla.com/or call 844-268-0301
- FEMA Helpline (6a.m.–10p.m., seven days a week):800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585)
- Debris pickup: LADOTD Hurricane Ida Citizen Problem Center (arcgis.com)
- Legal aid hotline:800-310-7029
- Disaster DistressHelpline:800-985-5990
- FEMA Community Education and Outreach:833-FEMA-4-US or 833-336-2487
No changes from previous update:
- If you need temporary housing, please register for the state’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program or call (844) 268-0301 or for TTY services call (844) 458-1806. Please also register for FEMA assistance at disasterassistance.gov.
Operation Blue Roof
- If you have questions or concerns regarding your Blue Roof installation, please call 1-888-766-3258.
- Are you out of work due to Hurricane Ida? Follow these 4 steps to connect with disaster relief job opportunities. Click the link to start the application process http://ow.ly/Wk8g50GncsX
- Residents who need elderly assistance should call the Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours, 8am-4:30pm daily.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
If you have any questions, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email email@example.com or call 985-651-5565.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-777
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)