Wednesday, September 8, 2021 Update
- The FEMA Mobile Registration Intake Center will be at 101 Bamboo Road tomorrow 8 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. to help St. John Parish residents apply for assistance.
- Apply for FEMA at disasterassistance.gov or 800-621-3362. FEMA approved generator and chainsaw reimbursements – apply for FEMA assistance for possible reimbursement.
- DNSAP Text LADSNAP to 898211
- Disaster unemployment https://www.laworks.net/
- Operation Blue Roof blueroof.us or 1-888-766-3258
- Transitional Sheltering Assistance - https://www.fema.gov/.../transitional-sheltering-assistance
- Distribution Sites Water, ice, and MREs are available daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. via drive-thru at the following locations:
- Wallace Fire Station - 5733 Hwy 18, Vacherie (Wallace)
- REGALA Gym - 200 REGALA Park Rd, Reserve
- Garyville Magnet School – 240 Hwy 54, Garyville
- Tide Loads of Hope is collecting and cleaning laundry from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at LaPlace Walmart.
- Fire Department and Public Works crews are out in neighborhoods handing out water, ice & MRES. The National Guard is also assisting.
Elderly Assistance for St. John residents
- Elderly St. John residents ages 65 and older who need assistance registering with FEMA can call the Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 from 8am-5pm daily.
- Water pressure may continue to fluctuate at times Parishwide but especially in LaPlace as leaks are identified and repaired. We will continue to send out updates when conditions change.
- A Boil Water Advisory is still in effect Parishwide. Please boil water for one minute before consuming. You will be notified when Boil Water is lifted.
- Parish residents are asked to limit all non-essential sewer services as much as possible during this time.
- Residents can continue using their essential sewer services, such as using the bathroom. Please try not to flush any type of paper product down your toilet right now while systems are being repaired. This includes toilet paper, sanitary items, paper towels or flushable wipes.
- Entergy will open two mobile Customer Information Centers (CICs) tomorrow morning. These are resource centers where customers can come ask us about restoration information, get general bill help and more. The locations for those CICs are listed below.
- East Bank: Walmart, 1616 W. Airline Hwy. Laplace, LA
- West Bank: Juan Anthony Memorial Park, 3445 Hwy 18, Edgard, LA
- Removal of vegetative debris is ongoing. Construction and demolition debris collection is scheduled for Friday.
- It is important residents separate debris into six categories: Household garbage, construction debris, vegetation debris, hazardous waste, 'white' goods, electronics for pickup.
- Please do not put debris in garbage bags. Keep household garbage separate. Do not set debris against trees or poles. Place at curb.
- Garbage collection has resumed on a limited basis because many areas are not passable. We will update daily which areas will be collected.
- There is a truck collecting garbage from Pleasure Bend to Lucy.
- There is a truck collecting garbage from Garyville to Reserve.
- There is a truck collecting garbage in Riverlands/Carrollwood.
- Parish President Hotard signed an executive order today outlining emergency regulations to prepare for an equitable and speedy recovery and to provide temporary housing solutions for residents.
- Effective through February 28, 2022, permit and inspection fees required by the Planning and Zoning Department will be waived for those making repairs and renovations to structures impacted by Hurricane Ida.
- The order also allows for placement of one RV, travel trailer or other similar form of temporary housing to be placed on a single-family residential sites through August 29, 2022. Additional provisions may be added as needs are identified for recovery.
- Please note that the Planning and Zoning Department is operating in a very limited capacity to provide safety inspections for electrical and gas reconnections currently.
- Permits for renovations, repairs and temporary RV’s may be obtained once full government services are operational. In the meantime, please contact Planning and Zoning at 985-651-5565 to begin coordination of inspections for RV’s of if you have any questions about permitting repairs.
Safe Reconnect of Utilities
- Planning and Zoning is here to help with a safe recovery for items that are normally permitted such as electrical and gas reconnection inspections.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and want to ensure it is safe to have them reconnected by the utility provider, please contact Planning & Zoning.
- Our team will come out and inspect the installation and advise what needs to be done to bring it to a safe condition.
- If you have made repairs and the utility provider is unable to reconnect you, an inspector will be dispatched to help you identify what needs to be done to allow the utility provider to reconnect you.
- These services are being provided at no cost and are offered to ensure your safety and expedite the reconnection process when the utility providers can turn services back on.
- The Highway 51 low road is closed. On and off ramps to I55 are open.
- LA 44 is closed near the Cargill Grain Elevator (between W. 19th Street and W. 23rd Street) is closed.
- All types of court (Civil. Criminal, Juvenile, Family) will be closed until September 20 due to the aftermath of Hurricane Ida. If you had scheduled court date in the 40th Judicial District you will be contacted once services are restored to the building and noticed for a future date.
- St. John Parish reminds residents that carbon monoxide from generators is deadly. Only use a generator in a well-ventilated area and place away from structures, at least 20 feet away from your home, windows, and doors.
- Please place a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- As we work to recover and rebuild following Hurricane Ida, residents are encouraged to watch for and report any suspicious activity or contractor fraud. Please make sure you are using a licensed contractor.
- Potential fraud should be reported to https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint or the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.
- A parish-wide curfew is in effect from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily until further notice. This is to assist with power outages and looting.