Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Friday, November 5, 2021
- The new deadline to apply for FEMA disaster assistance is November 29th.
- Apply for FEMA assistance online at disasterassistance.gov, by phone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585, Phone lines operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week, you can also visit a Disaster Recovery Center to apply and meet with FEMA specialists in person.
- Due to daylight saving time, Sunday, Nov. 7, the hours of operation for the disaster recovery centers in St. John Parish are: 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday- Saturday; closed Sunday: Located at:
- Frazee-Harris Memorial Library (parking lot)
- 111Historic Front Street, Garyville, La. 70051
- Roland Borne Sr. Memorial Library (parking lot)
2979 Hwy. 18, Edgard, La. 70049
- To date more than 797,000 debris has been collected Parishwide.
- DOTD activated a call center for questions related to Hurricane debris on state roadways which can be reached at 800-950-2732.
No change from previous update:
Disaster Distress Helpline
- If you're looking for ways to cope with stress or anxiety, there are free resources available:
-Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990
- If you need temporary housing, please register for the state’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program or call (844) 268-0301 or for TTY services call (844) 458-1806. (Please also register with FEMA at disasterassistance.gov)
- If you have registered for the state program, please stay in contact at IdaShelteringLA.com.
- Already registered? Check your status by viewing your registration at IdaShelteringLA.com. If your registration is incomplete, answer all information. Please make sure to complete the following:
Release of Information (ROI),
Right of Entry (ROE); and
provide a copy of your government issued identification.
- If you have any questions, please reach out to a Program Team Member by calling 1-844-268-0301 or 1-844-458-1806 for talk to text (TTY). Please note, if there is a hold time longer than 3 minutes, you will be offered to have a Program Team Member return your call without losing your place.
- Residents who need elderly assistance should call the Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours, 8am-4:30pm daily.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
- Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
- Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 985-651-5565.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-77
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)