Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Wednesday, October 27, 2021
FEMA Extends Deadline to Apply for Hurricane Ida Assistance
- Survivors of Hurricane Ida now have until Nov. 29 to apply for individual assistance with FEMA.
- FEMA assistance for individuals and families affected by Hurricane Ida can cover rental assistance, temporary housing, home repairs, personal property losses and other disaster-related needs not covered by insurance.
- The fastest way to apply for FEMA assistance is online at DisasterAssistance.gov or by phone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Phone lines operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Individuals can also visit a Disaster Recovery Center to apply and meet with FEMA specialists in person.
- The Disaster Recovery Centers are located at Frazee-Harris Memorial Library (parking lot) 111 Historic Front Street, Garyville, LA 70051 and Roland Borne, Sr. Memorial Library (parking lot)2979 LA-18, Edgard, LA 70049. Open 9am-6pm Monday-Saturday.
SBA Deadline Extended
- The U.S. Small Business Administration’s deadline to apply for an SBA disaster loan has also been extended to Nov. 29. SBA representatives are available at disaster recovery centers, and businesses and residents can also visit www.SBA.gov/disaster, call SBA’s customer service center at 800-877-8339 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information or to apply.
- Parish President Hotard continues to work with the debris contractor on debris collection Parishwide.
- To date, more than 737,700 cubic yards of debris has been collected in St. John Parish and over 13,400 loads hauled.
- We understand that some residents are just beginning to work on their homes and will continue debris collection daily until all debris is picked up.
- The Parish is also working closely with State DOTD on debris removal on state highways. DOTD recently activated a call center for questions related to Hurricane debris on state roadways at 800-950-2732. This call center is operating daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. State debris removal progress can also be seen at www.511la.org.
No changes from previous update:
- To register for the state’s sheltering program or find out what sheltering options are available, visit IdaShelteringla.com or call (844) 268-0301 or for TTY services call (844) 458-1806.
- Please also register for FEMA at disasterassistance.gov.
Operation Blue Roof
- If you have questions or concerns regarding your Blue Roof installation, please call 1-888-766-3258.
- Are you out of work due to Hurricane Ida? Follow these 4 steps to connect with disaster relief job opportunities. Click the link to start the application process http://ow.ly/Wk8g50GncsX
- Residents who need elderly assistance should call the Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours, 8am-4:30pm daily.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
If you have any questions, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email email@example.com or call 985-651-5565.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-777
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)