Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Wednesday, September 29, 2021
Changes from previous update:
- 355,450 Cubic Yards collected to date
- Debris trucks are out daily. Please continue to separate debris and do not put debris piles near fire hydrants, mailboxes, trees, etc.
- 17,906 FEMA applications to date.
Disaster recovery centers open daily from 9 am to 6 pm:
- Garyville Library Parking Lot – 111 Historic Front, Garyville
- Edgard Library Parking Lot - 2979 Hwy 18, Edgard
Total – 2783
Installed – 319
Work orders with contractor (must be completed in 10 days) – 480
- Deadline is tomorrow to apply for blue roof (Thurs 9/30) at Blueroof.us or call 888-766-3258.
- Metro trucks are on the ground and working to service regularly scheduled routes.
No changes from yesterday’s update:
- Business Recovery Center
390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
Mondays – Wednesdays 9:00 am – 5:30 pm CT
St. John Residential Water Bills for September will not be issued
Parish President Hotard announces that all September water bills which include water, sewage, garbage, ambulance, and mosquito monthly fees will be waived for September due to Hurricane Ida operational damage.
Residential water customers will not receive a September water bill but may receive, or have already received, a bill prior to September. If you receive a water bill for prior dates, please be assured that your next water bill will be waived.
Although Parish offices are currently closed to the public, customers can contact Utility Billing at 985-652-0542 for assistance.
Customers needing to pay a water bill can do so online at sjbparish.gov, via phone at 985-652-0542, or by utilizing one of the drop boxes at the Government Complex in LaPlace, Garyville Service Center, or Edgard Courthouse. All online processing fees have been waived during this time.
Boil Water Advisories
- All Boil Water Advisories in St. John Parish are lifted.
Temporary, Emergency Housing
- Residents who will require temporary, emergency housing, whether a homeowner or renter, can call 985-359-0142 or 985-359-0270 or fill out this convenient form https://us.openforms.com/.../d7c1e95f-25c9-4939-aade... to be placed on the list for temporary, emergency housing.
- The parish is continuing to compile a list of individuals who will require temporary, emergency housing to provide to FEMA. Final assessments will be conducted by FEMA.
- The following information is needed: Address of the home you were living in during Hurricane Ida, a contact number to reach you, the number of people in your household.
Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Registration opens on Oct. 4 for St. John Parish; residents should call 1-888-524-3578 on the day that corresponds with the first letter of their last name.
Day 1 (Monday, Oct. 4) – Residents with last names beginning with A-F
Day 2 (Tuesday, Oct. 5) – G-M
Day 3 (Wednesday, Oct. 6) – N-S
Day 4 (Thursday, Oct. 7) – T-Z
Day 5 (Friday, Oct. 8) – Open for all (letters A-Z)
Day 6 (Saturday, Oct. 9) – Open for all (letters A-Z)
Residents can pre-register now by texting LADSNAP to 898-211 or visiting http://www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/page/dsnap-registration
Pre-registration will speed up the application process that determines final eligibility after DSNAP is authorized.
Crisis Clean Up
- The Crisis Cleanup Hotline is in operation for individuals who need help with clean up and removal of damage from Hurricane Ida. The hotline will connect you with volunteers, local relief organizations and faith and community groups to help with cutting fallen trees; removing drywall, flooring and appliances; tarping roofs; and mold mitigation. Call 844-965-1386 to request assistance. The hotline will remain open until Oct. 8.
Elderly Assistance for St. John residents
- Call 985-536-4955 from 8am-4:30pm daily.
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Business Recovery Center is open in LaPlace
- Mondays - Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
- SBA’s Customer Service Center can be reached at 800-659-2955, email DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov or visit www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call 800-877-8339.
- The application deadline for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) has been extended through Nov. 2, 2021.
Be Aware of Fraud
- Please be aware of individuals posing as phony property inspectors or phony building contractors. Please be aware of scams that may try to steal money or your personal information through fraud by directing you to apply on their website.
- Report scams, fraud and identity theft to FEMA’s toll-free Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721. Or, contact the Louisiana Attorney General Consumer Protection Section, P.O. Box 94005, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005. Or fax your complaint to: 225-326-6499.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- Structural repair permits that are required are required as part of St. John Parish’s participation in the National Flood Insurance Program, providing eligibility for flood insurance, and to enforce building codes that ensure the safety of its citizens.
- Additionally, Parish President Hotard suspended all permit or trade filing fees until February of 2022.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email email@example.com or call 985-651-5565.