Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Tuesday, November 30, 2021
- The deadline to apply for Hurricane Ida disaster assistance from FEMA was November 29th.
- If you have applied with FEMA and have questions about your recovery process, help is available:
- Fema’s Disaster Helpline at 800-621-3362 or disasterassistance.gov to find out the status of your application, what additional assistance may be available or to have other questions answered.
- If you’ve already applied, you can continue to upload documents and information to your file.
- Make sure to keep your contact information up to date to avoid any delays.
The Disaster Recovery Center in the Garyville Library Parking Lot (111 Historic Front St. in Garyville) will remain open until further notice Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for those who need assistance.
FEMA Mitigation specialists are also available by calling the FEMA Mitigation Helpline, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday, at 833-FEMA-4-US (833-336-2487) or you can email mitigation questions to: FEMA-LAMit@fema.dhs.gov.
- Deadline to apply with SBA was November 29, 2021
- Deadline to apply to SBA Economic Injury is May 31,2022
- If you have questions about your application, please call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the SBA Recovery Center (Mondays - Wednesdays) 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace.
- More than 867,000 cubic yards has been collected to date.
- Debris trucks are continuing to remove debris Parishwide.
No change from previous update.
Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance
- Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance is available by appointment every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the legal clinic located at 1811 W. Airline Hwy in LaPlace.
- St. John the Baptist Parish residents seeking disaster-related legal assistance can contact Southeast Legal Services at 225-448-0080 ext. 336 to schedule an appointment. If no one answers, please leave your name and phone number and someone will return your call.
- Residents who need temporary housing should register for the state’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering program at idashelteringla.com or by calling 844-268-0301.
- Already registered? Check your status by viewing your registration at IdaShelteringLA.com. If you have any questions, please reach out to a Program Team Member by calling 1-844-268-0301 or 1-844-458-1806 for talk to text (TTY).
Long Term Recovery Group
- St. John Parish recently activated the Long Term Recovery Group to assist residents with unmet needs due to Hurricane Ida.
- If you are a homeowner and are uninsured, underinsured, or need assistance due to Hurricane Ida, please call the St John Volunteer Reception Center (VRC) at 985-703-8411.
- Elderly residents who may need assistance can call Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived however a permit may still be needed in some instances.
- Building permits are not needed for Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email email@example.com or call 985-651-5565 so someone in this department can work with you on reconnection.
Beware of Fraud
- Report scams, fraud, and identity theft to FEMA’s toll-free Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.
- Contact the Louisiana Attorney General Consumer Protection Section, P.O. Box 94005, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005. Or fax your complaint to 225-326-6499.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-77
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)