Hurricane Ida Recovery Update
Sunday, October 24, 2021
- More than 719,000 cubic yards of debris has been collected Parishwide to date. Debris trucks are out collecting daily.
- We are also working closely with State DOTD. DOTD recently activated a call center for hurricane debris on state roadways at 800-950-2732. You can also view updates at 511la.org.
- The state has opened registration for the Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program. To register, visit idashelteringla.com/ or call 844-268-0301 to register for temporary sheltering.
- The program provides sheltering assistance to residents in eligible heavily impacted parishes until other temporary or permanent housing options are available
- Frequently Asked Questions regarding temporary housing: https://idashelteringla.com/en-US/FAQs/Ida_Program_FAQ.pdf
- Rental assistance: Need help locating where to apply for the Louisiana Emergency Rental Assistance Program? Dial 211 or visit lastaterent.com
- Residents may apply for FEMA assistance online at disasterassistance.gov, via its 24/7 phone line at 800-621-3362, or in-person.
FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers will reopen Monday after closing today early due to weather:
- To apply for FEMA assistance and make amendments to applications, visit the FEMA Disaster Recovery Center daily from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. at
- Garyville Library Parking Lot - 111 Historic Front, Garyville
- Edgard Library Parking Lot 2979 LA-18, Edgard, LA 70049
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) are accessible facilities and mobile offices you can visit to learn more about FEMA and other disaster assistance programs. You may also visit to ask questions about your case.
- If you received a letter saying you are ineligible for FEMA assistance after Hurricane Ida damaged your home, you can appeal.
- Appeal letters must be sent or given to FEMA within 60 days of the date of the determination letter, and evidence to support your appeal request should be included.
- Please also be aware of potential contractor and donation scams.
- If you suspect fraud, you can contact the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline. More information at: https://bit.ly/31CIMQj.
- General questions or comments about FEMA Disaster Assistance can be emailed to AskIA@fema.dhs.gov.
No changes from previous update:
Small Business Administration Disaster Loans
- SBA offers disaster assistance in the form of low interest loans to businesses, nonprofit organizations, homeowners, and renters located in regions affected by declared disasters. SBA also provides eligible small businesses and nonprofit organizations with working capital to help overcome the economic injury of a declared disaster.
- You can call SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 or visit www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance for more information on SBA disaster assistance or to apply.
- The SBA Recovery Center is open on in St. John Parish on Mondays - Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at River Region Chamber of Commerce - 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace.
- Frequently asked questions: https://disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/ela/s/article/FAQ
- If you are without power, please call and report it to Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY.
- Beware of scammers threatening immediate service disconnection. Entergy will never call and ask for personal information or demand payment.
- If you need to start, stop, or move service; pay your bill; or report an outage, you can also use: https://www.myentergy.com/s/.
- Are you out of work due to Hurricane Ida? Follow these 4 steps to connect with disaster relief job opportunities. Click the link to start the application process http://ow.ly/Wk8g50GncsXElderly Assistance
- Residents who need elderly assistance should call the Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours, 8am-4:30pm daily.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
- Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
- Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email email@example.com or call 985-651-5565.
Hurricane Ida Donations
- Drop Off Site:
- Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
- REGALA Gym
- 200 REGALA Park Rd., Reserve
- Non-perishable food, toiletries, cleaning supplies & water (clothing not accepted)
- All items donated will go to Hurricane Ida relief in St. John Parish.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-777
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)